Wednesday, October 19, 2005

We Both had to Laugh

You stood in that doorway so angry, helplessly angry it seemed. We both had to laugh. The subtle curl of your lips gave me permission to transition stunned bewilderment into incredulous laughter. Like the little boy who wants to shame his mother, the one woman who will always be there. That seductive curiosity: can you control her? But the bigger question is: can you forgive her? Can you forgive the transgressions of your youth she couldn't control? And what about the ones she could? Ahh...so we see why when you lie by the riverside her darkened face rises from your dreams. And how I wish her face didn't turn into mine. Should I forgive you? Should I overlook this danger I'm never likely to escape? Your face rises from my dreams and I feel your hands slip about my waist. It's not enough to be held. Sometimes it's enough to be held.

No comments: